Monday, March 21, 2016

Dorf's "Principals" of Fitness

About this time last year (March 2015), I was a happy 6'2" 215 pound/48 year old couch potato. This year (March 2016) I am a happier 180 pound/about to be 49 year old couch carrot/broccoli spear/almond/etc... I am grateful to my wife, Lottie, who is a Physical Education teacher and avid runner. She inspires me to get out and run/walk at east three times per week. She also inspires me to eat healthy. I am also grateful to our faculty and staff at NSE. Last year around this time, we challenged each other to spend a month working out and eating right. The 2015 NSE Fitbit Challenge and my wife's healthy lifestyle encouraged me to eat better, and get moving. Here is what I try to do to keep the weight off:

Don't live to eat, but eat to live. Eating half of what you are accustomed to eatting, especially in the
evenings, will cut your cravings for food. The idea is to not stretch your stomach so much that it craves more. If you can order the same dish as your spouse and split it, do it. If you do not order the same meal, try to eat half and take half home for later or tomorrow. Stay away from too much bread, greasy chips, fries, and sweets every day. Drink as much water as you can through out the day. Try to plan out what you are going to eat each day so that you are not hunting for something and end up eating too much or something you should not eat.

Typical Weekday (eat the following or something comparable - low fat, low carb, and low unnatural sugars):
6:30am - 1 Smoothie (orange juice, kale, carrots, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and vanilla extract)
9:30am - 1/2 of a turkey sandwich; handful of almonds; cut apple slices
11:30am - the other 1/2 of a turkey sandwich; handful of almonds; cut apple slices
1:00pm - turkey and cheese roll-up; almonds if any are left; cut apples if any are left
5:00 - 6:00pm - Eat one of the following (salad, char grill chicken sandwich and small salad, turkey or chicken roll-up, chicken or shrimp quesadilla, salmon steak, grilled veggies, rice, mashed red potatoes, etc...) Some of this is from fast food restraunts, or dine-in restraunts. Unfortunately, we do not cook at home very often in our houeshold.
7:30pm - Eat some light popcorn or pretzels and drink a 16oz water.

Eating smaller portions through out the day and evening keeps you from over eating and stretching your stomach.

On the weekends, feel free to eat chicken tacos, and pizza in moderation on ocassion if you like. As the weather warms up, grill chicken, salmon, shrimp, etc... with some veggies.

Stay away from fried foods, butter, sugar (including drinks), white bread, whole milks (I use skim milk - others dring Soy), ice cream, etc... Snack on lightly buttered popcorn, pretzels, pickles, veggies, and fruit instead.

Get out and walk/run at least three days per week. If possible, get out more than three days per week, but at least get moving either in the morning or in the evening for about 30 minutes to an hour. If you have not been running, walk a couple of miles three days per week. After two weeks, run about one mile, and walk about a mile and a half which takes about 30 minutes. On the weekend, run a mile and half and walk three miles which takes about one hour. I like to get my walk/runs done in the morning. I find it hard to sleep if I am hyped up after a run or workout. However, some experts say that working out before you go to bed can burn calories while you sleep. My theory is that if you walk/run regularly for 30 to 60 minutes three times per week, your body becomes a calorie burning machine all of the time.

Ideally, my wife and I like to get out and run/walk on Saturday or Sunday, Monday, and either Wednesday or Thursday. I believe that at my age, I need to give my bones, muscles, and joints a day or two to rest. I also try to excercise to a level of slight discomfort, but not overexerting myself to the point that I am injured or burned out. I am hoping to incorporate some mountain biking in my routine soon (gotta buy bike though!).

Another strategy I used is wearing a ruck sack with about 10% of my body weight (18-20 lbs) in it. I bought a small back pack that straps around my waist and chest to keep it close to my back. I bought 5 and 7.5 pound weights to put in the pack. I wear this when I am walking during the week and on the weekends off and on.

I hope this practical routine helps you. If you do not use the compnents of this routine, I hope that you find a routine that helps you shed some pounds, get some excersise, and feel better about yourself.
Post a Comment