There is conversation within the district to revamp the development of new leaders in the district and how to continue to develop current leaders. One of the opportunities under this umbrella is the Aspiring School Leaders program that got kicked off this past Thursday. Several of the people involved in designing this program have chosen Maxwell's book to read.
I was introduced to the 5 levels when I read Maxwell's book Developing the Leader Within You several years ago. The five levels are:
1. Position - people follow because they have to
2. Permission - people follow because they want to
3. Production - people follow because of what you have done for the organization
4. People Development - people follow because of what you have done for them personally
5. Personhood - people follow because of who you are and what you represent
Interestingly enough, as a leader you are on different levels with different people throughout the organization. These levels definitely apply to me as a principal. However, these levels also apply to anyone who has an influence of leadership role. Classroom teachers have a tremendous opportunity to grow within these levels with the students and parents they serve. Office staff have an opportunity to show their leadership potential with the people that they work with and come in contact with on a daily basis.
Take the time to think about what level you are on with the people you have an influence over. Check out Maxwell's book and learn how to move to the next level with these people.