Thursday, October 25, 2012

Approximately four or five years ago, the faculty and staff of NSE chose Joyce Divinyi's book, Discipline That Works: 5 Simple Steps, as the basis for the "Cricket Way," which says, "Today, I will do my best to be the best.  I will do it the first time.  I will be kind.  I will stay on task.  I can learn.  I will learn.  You see, I know it is all up to me."

I have read through this  book twice since I was named principal of NSE.  While I truly believe that quality instruction and student engagement is central to good behavior in the classroom, I do believe that there are times when we must teach discipline to our boys and girls.

Divinyi's book suggested five simple steps for teachers (and parents) to use with children:

1. Think about the child's feelings
2. Ask the right questions.
3. Teach the child skills
4. Repeat short phrases (rules, commands, procedures, etc...)
5. Focus on the POSITIVE!

Another great philosophy that this book teaches is that everyone goes through emotions, thinking, and action when faced with an emotion.  This is better known as E.T.A.  We teach the boys and girls at NSE that when you get in trouble it is more than likely that you had an emotion (anger, frustration, competition, sadness, etc...), and acted immediately.  The step that was skipped was "thinking."  You got the E before the T and spelled EAT.  This book has great insight as to how to handle negative behavior when it comes to elementary, middle, and high school children.  All of our staff will have a copy of this book and it is a continuous conversation as we work to respond our best to poor choices that students make.

If you would like a copy of this book, please let me (Dr. "H.") know and I will look for resources to get you a copy.

Emotion - Think - Action NOT Emotions - Actions - Think!
Post a Comment